"Calvary Church had its beginning on the south side of Oil City. Almost one hundred and fifty years later, we celebrate this anniversary. Today the church is located across the street from the first church that was built in 1869. A society of people was organized in 1866 undert he care of Reverend C. W. Davis. It was called the Benango City Mission and later was connedted to the Evangelical Association which changed its name to the Evangeelical Church in 1922. Another merger, November 16, 1946, of the Evangelical Church and the Church of the United Brethren in Christ of America made a newly-created church and Calvary becomes the Evanelical United Brethren Church (EUB). At a joint General Conference, April 23, 1968, the EUB and the Methodist Church established the United Methodist Church. This a condensed version of how our Church was formed. In no way did the name changes discourage the congregation. They have remained hard working dedicated members. This a mission-minded church in the community, in htis country, abroad (through missions). There remain many opportunities for spiritual growth and witness to our faith in Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior."
Originally written by faithful member, Miss Helen McCrea (1996)